It is the responsibility of every player / participant and their parent/guardian to determine the potential risks and participation in over-the-board chess tournaments or Robotics In-Person Events. Ultimately, it is an individual decision on whether or not to play/participate. Although the organizers make the tournament /classes available to chess/robotics players/participants, it is up to the players/participants and their parent/guardian to decide if they want to participate in the event. To that end, participants and their parent/guardian are required to abide by the COVID-19 tournament and hotel protocols. The listed protocols may change before the start of the tournament and we will endeavor to keep this page up to date.
The Chesstronics In-Person Tournament organizers or Robotics In-Person class organizers recognize the challenges presented by COVID-19. Precautionary measures will be in place to prevent and reduce the spread of COVID-19 among players and limited spectators/parents allowed at the event, however we cannot guarantee that you (or those you come in close contact with) will not become infected with COVID-19. By registering and attending this event, you acknowledge the contagious nature of COVID-19 and voluntarily assume all risk that you may be exposed to or infected by COVID-19.
We are implementing several requirements to be followed onsite – This includes Tournament playing hall, Vending and Skittles rooms, where players are in contact with other players/participants/members of family/friends. We are asking all the attendees to strictly abide by these protocols and follow the below best-practice suggestions at this event, so as to keep everyone including yourself safe. I addition, the staff of the hotel have taken precautions in accordance with Georgia Public Health guidelines.
UPDATED FACEMASK PROTOCOLS
In view of the recent Recent Protocols that all schools must require the indoor use of face coverings by students, staff, and visitors who are over age two and able to medically tolerate a face covering, regardless of vaccination status, we have updated the tournament mask policy to require all participants, family members, accompanying friends or relatives, and Chesstronics staff to wear face masks in all public spaces related to the irrespective of vaccination status. This mask policy applies to all playing halls, skittles rooms, and official vendor’s room when children are present.
By implementing this policy, we are ensuring the school districts sending students to the Chesstronics Tournaments are compliant with Executive Order 2021. All attendees are encouraged to bring their own mask.
ONLY REGISTERED PLAYERS ARE ALLOWED INSIDE THE PLAYING VENUE WHILE THEIR GAME IS IN PROGRESS
Players are required to be at the Board at least 10 mins prior to the start of each Round for Announcements and Temperature Screening checks as necessary.
- Spectators are not allowed at this event. Players must leave playing room when finished with their game as they are now considered a spectator
- Entry Protocols and procedures. Entry into the tournament will controlled and follow published routes and guidelines to include not allowing parents to accompany their child past the playing room’s foyer
- Player needing special assistance. If a player has any special needs or assistance, we ask that you notify the organizers before the first day of the event so that we can make the necessary accommodations for the player
- Face Masks. Players should bring their own face covering due to the limited quantity the organizers will have on hand. All participants, family members, accompanying friends or relatives, and NAYCC staff must wear face masks in all public spaces related to the NAYCC irrespective of vaccination status. This mask policy applies to all playing halls, skittles rooms, and official vendor’s room when children are present.
- Players need to be prepared for Temperature screening checks using a Digital Thermometer Scanner at the beginning of each round or as needed.
- You must be able to check pairings and standings online. Pairings must be known to the player prior to entering the playing hall. We will NOT be posting pairings, standings, or wallcharts in the hallways. This is to avoid large gathering of players trying to find their pairings or look at standings.We will post pairings in the tournament hall for those who may not have access to a computer or “smart” cell phone between rounds. Pairings and standings will be posted on the whatsapp group you can join the Chesstronics Scholastic Whatsapp Group The QR Code will be posted in our Tournament Hall.
- Players/parents/spectators will not be permitted to congregate outside doors of the playing halls or in the hallways.
- Social distancing markers must be respected. Please follow these strictly!
- No Food or Drink is allowed in the Playing room, except for Bottled Water or Liquids in tightly closed containers. Keep your personal items to a minimum.
- Cell Phones – Players choosing to bring in cell phones do so at their own risk as tournament staff are unable to watch over them. Cell phones are required to be turned off and placed inside the box provided at the boards. The cell phone shall remain inside the box until the completion of the player’s game.
Failure to adhere to these requirements may result in removal from the tournament and/or site, without refund. Please help us avoid this by respecting these rules, which are in place for your safety as well as the safety of those around you!
ASSISTANCE BY ORGANIZER
- Pairings and standings will be online. Please be sure to have a computer, tablet, smartphone, or other Internet capable device that can check for pairings! Please make sure you know your board number and color for the round before you enter the playing hall!
- Hand sanitizer will be available in the hallways and playing area, but it is always best if participants bring one for their own use.
- The tournament halls will have increased spacing between tables and players. This ensures as much distance as reasonably possible between games.
- Boards, pieces, and clocks will be provided by the organizer and will be spray sanitized between rounds. This task will be undertaken by tournament staff.
- Seating will be adjusted in public areas and skittles rooms to follow the safety protocols and social distancing guidelines as best as possible.
- Safety staff will be onsite to direct and monitor players. Players and parents need to respect them and follow their directions at all times.
BEST PRACTICE SUGGESTIONS
Your cooperation in following the best practices sets a great example for everyone and to create a safe environment for players!
- Get some fresh air outside the hotel. Its advisable players and parents leave the tournament site/skittles area to get some fresh air and come back just before the start of the next round. This will also allow the Hotel staff to clean the tournament rooms in between rounds.
- If you have had, experienced, or displayed any symptoms consistent with COVID19, please do NOT attend unless you have been cleared by medical authorities. These symptoms include, but are not limited to, fever, respiratory distress, and shortness of breath.
- If you have had any close or direct contact with anyone who is either confirmed or suspected of having COVID-19, please do NOT attend, unless the time has passed when you are no longer at the risk of having it. This normally is more than 14 days prior to the event. This includes close or direct contact with anyone who is experiencing or displaying any symptoms consistent with COVID-19.
- If you have or will, any time after August 1, 2021, traveled from areas of substantial community spread requiring quarantine by the Illinois Department of Health, traveled from an international location that is in the current US Department of State travel advisory, or traveled on a cruise ship or river cruise, please do NOT attend.